For years, three big players for studying abroad destination UK, US and Australia have remained the prime destination for student who wish to study overseas. However, do keep in mind that studying abroad are indeed cost you more than to study locally. Here’s good news for you as studying in Singapore is an alternative solution for you to fulfil your dreams in abroad education. Singapore is a fast-emerging country which has seen continues grow for their higher education among oversea location. Furthermore, studying in Singapore is not as costly as you think.
The seven (7) benefits of studying in Singapore
- Affordable Education in Singapore – Many of us wish to study overseas but the cost of education in a foreign country is high. Besides the education fees, you also need to consider the cost of living as well as other expenses. Thus, Singapore has seemed to be the viable alternative study abroad destination with an equally good standard of quality education and most importantly its tuition fees are more affordable as compared to Australia, UK or USA.
- Cultural Diversity in Singapore – Singapore host students from all around the globe, with a rich multi-cultural heritage that is highlighted by the peaceful co-existence of its various ethnic groups including the Chinese, Malays, Indians and Eurasians. This allows you to acquaint yourself with several cultures and ideas from different nationalities. International students will enjoy their stay here in Singapore with the colourful cultures represented by ethnic districts such as Little India, Chinatown, and Malay Village.
- Safety in Singapore – Singapore has been consistently ranked as one of the world’s safest cities. Its policy on non-tolerance towards ranging, physical and mental abuse, both on and off campus will provide a safe living and learning environment for international student. In addition, your studying experience in Singapore will be positive as the people of Singapore are caring and warm towards people from other countries.
- Public Transport System in Singapore – An efficient network of public transport system which makes travelling to any part of the island more comfortable and affordable by train, bus or taxi.
- Weather in Singapore – Singapore is an equatorial country that is summer all year round and a short rainy season is expected during the later months. This allows student to wear convenient light clothing and enjoy outdoor activities. Thus, you will be going to have a great campus life.
- Dining and Shopping Experience in Singapore – In Singapore, running out of option when it comes to everyone’s favourite pastimes – dining and shopping is never happening. Singapore’s multi-racialism means that there are delicious foods everywhere by each cultural group which is affordable as it is delectable. When it comes to shopping, there are endless choice of new-fangled retail hotspot and not forget to mention the famous Orchard Road belt.
- Job opportunity in Singapore – Singapore has established itself as a hub of global economic activity. It is not a surprise to see reputed organisations from around the globe setting up their campuses in Singapore. As per one estimate, Singapore has about 26,000 international corporations. Economic activity at such a large scale means that there is no dearth of job opportunities in the country for the graduates. Now all you need to do is to find the right Universities, click hereto find out what is the best 3 private universities in Singapore.
Still not convinced to study in Singapore yet?
Still planning on studying overseas but the high tuition fees and living expenses still burden you? Guess what? Many universities in Singapore offer various scholarships. The international scholarships depend on different college/university.
How to apply for a student pass
- First get offer letter from your desired college or university after enrolled in a course, you will need to apply for student pass to enter Singapore.
- Check the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority for details about the Student Pass application process and download necessary forms from there. https://www.ica.gov.sg/
- Prepare for supporting documents for your application. These include:
- Birth of certificate
- Highest Academic Qualification and Academic Transcript
- Evidence of financial status (Fixed Deposit/Saving Account)
- Two passport sized photographs (if applicable)
- Offer letter
- Completed Student Visa Application Forms – ICA form 16 & form V36
- Employment letter (if applicable)
*Note: Additional documentation may be required. The student pass application usually applied by the college or university on behalf of the student and expected processing time should be between 3-4 weeks).
Living expenses in Singapore
The living expenses in Singapore for international students are approximately SGD 1,000 per month includes accommodation, meals, transportation, utilities, other miscellaneous.
Contact us to find out more
International Student enquiries:
For more stories like this, join the Excel Education community on Facebook
Need help with your uni application? Connect with us here
About Post Author
Tham Jing An is a writer by day and a bedroom singer by night. He is still a full-time student pursuing his Bachelor (Honours) in Finance with the University of Hertfordshire, UK under INTI International College Kuala Lumpur campus.