Life as an international student in Australia
Life in Australia as a student can be an exciting phase of life and a step towards endless future possibilities. Australia is considered to be a ‘melting pot’ of nationalities and cultures due to the increasing number of international students, reaching up to 45% every year. Some of the reasons why students are so intrigued by the student lifestyle in Australia is because of their impeccable college rankings, various financial support outlets, modern lifestyle amidst the great Australian beaches and of course the permission to work while studying.
Cost of living in Australia
|Groceries and Food
|Sport and Entertainment
|Phone and Internet
Types of part-time Jobs in Australia
Many universities and educational institutes have on-campus and off-campus opportunities for both local and international students. Some of the fields that students can look into for part time jobs include:
- Retail sales jobs in supermarkets, departmental stores
- Food and Beverage (waiter, bartender and etc.)
- Hospitality (both in the kitchens and administration and housekeeping)
- Agricultural work (fruit picking)
- Sales and telemarketing (call centre)
- Tutor; skill or language exchange
Minimum legal hourly rates of part-time Jobs in Australia
The minimum legal hourly rate for a basic job with no specific skills will have at least A$18.93. For jobs that require any additional skills, students might able to earn up to A$50 – 80 per hour.
Rules for international students seeking for part-time job(s) in Australia
- International students in Australia on a valid student visa can work for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and there is no limit on the number of hours an international student can work during recognised school vacations.
- Students are required to pursue a consistent study program that has been approved by the Australian government.
- Students are required to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
Useful websites for International students looking for part-time job(s)
Further Reading: Useful websites for International students in Australia
Further Reading: Top 10 Part Time Jobs for International Students in Australia
About Post Author
An international student from Taylor’s University, Manahil Ijaz is a freelance writer from the field of PR and Marketing who indulges in different forms of art including writing, painting and designing. Manahil has a great passion for psychology, English literature and travelling.