The Best Colleges in Malaysia for A-Levels programme
What is A-Level
A-Level is a Pre-University programme based on the UK education system. A-Level takes usually 15-24 month of duration to complete depending on which college and intake. Some also offer 12-month express route. It is 100% exam-based and you will be required to take a minimum of 3 subjects. Students who study A-Level will be able to gain in-depth knowledge of your chosen subject. A-Level offer a wide range of subject includes:
Types of A-levels examination bodies
- Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA)
- Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations (OCR)
- Edexcel (Edexcel Pearson – London Examinations)
- Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC)
- Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment (CCEA)
Why Study A-Level
A-Level remain a popular Pre-U programme for students who have completed SPM. While the benefit to study A-Level were:
- A-level Is One of The Most Well-acknowledge Qualifications Globally
A-Level qualification is accepted by universities worldwide. Therefore, A-Level is an ideal choice of studies for those who wish to study abroad including, Australia, UK, Singapore, Canada and USA. In addition, a student with a strong achievement in A-Level has a better chance of applying international scholarships to study at universities overseas.
- Wider Option for Degree Studies
Others pre-university programmes such as Foundation or even Diploma program may limit you to certain degree. While A-Level allows you to pursue wide range of degree. For example, if you are not sure in choosing either Science or Business-related degree to study yet, A-Level will be the right choice for you provided with the right combination of the chosen subject.
*Note: Choosing a wrong combination of subjects may limit your chances in entering the degree course of your choice. Please consult us in choosing the right subject carefully.
- It Enables You to Gain In-Depth Knowledge in Your Chosen Subject
Instead of taking 9 subjects just as how your SPM days were, you will only need to take a minimum of 3 subjects for A-Level. Therefore, you can focus on a few subjects and gain deep knowledge in your chosen subjects.
Is A-Level Right for You?
A-Level is commonly known as one of the hardest pre-University programs despite required to take only a minimum of 3 subjects. Therefore, knowing whether A-Level is suitable for you is very important.
|You Should Take A-level if||You Should Not Take A-level if|
|Prefer 100% exam-based assessment||>Dislike being assessed based only on exams|
|Looking to study a wide variety of subjects||Dislike memorising|
|Aiming to pursue competitive degree such as Law, Pharmacy, Veterinary||Focusing on more practical-oriented degree such as Culinary, Design, Architecture|
Minimum Entry Requirement For A-Level
|SPM||5 credit (inclusive of English and relevant course)|
|O Level||5 credit (inclusive of relevant course)|
|UEC||5 credit (inclusive of relevant course)|
Entry Requirement may vary for different University/College
Recommended Colleges to Study A-Level in Malaysia
Taylor’s University (Cambridge A-Level)
Taylor’s University has established itself as the best pre-University in Malaysia for close to 5 decades, in academic excellence and track records for placing students into top universities for their choice. Its program also helps individual to identify different learning skill known as “IsCoRe” – Independent learning skills, Collaborative learning skills and Research skills to succeed beyond academically.
Why Study at Taylor’s University
- With the most outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards in Malaysia (2012 – 2016).
- With the most outstanding A-Level achievers in Malaysia (2012 – 2016).
- Highest number of students scoring 3As or more in Malaysia, with 2,663 students.
- 11,617 record number of As achieved.
|Fees For 3 Subjects||RM 33,950|
|Intake||Jan, Mar & Aug|
UCSI University (Cambridge A-Level)
UCSI University is now a Malaysia’s top private university as it has breached into the top 500 of the 2019 QS World University Rankings outperform its peers. Its state-of-art facilities provide the student with the needs of academic programmes which includes Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and more.
Why Study at UCSI University
- 40% of the students score straights As in their exams.
- 3 of their subjects boast a passing rate of 100%.
- 7 years of monumental achievement by UCSI students.
|Fees For 3 Subjects||RM 25,020|
|Intake||Jan, Apr & Jul|
HELP University (Cambridge A-Level & Edexcel International Advanced Level)
HELP University was the first University to offer both Edexcel International Advanced Level and Cambridge A-Level. HELP has coached its A-Level students to enter the world’s top universities.
Why Study at HELP University
- Record holder for highest awards received includes 77 World Top Awards together with another 37 National Awards.
- Getting The Edge (GTE) program to cultivate leadership and organisational skills among students.
- Winner of 77 World Top Awards for Best Scores Worldwide in Individual Subjects.
- Winner of 7 Gold Medallion Awards from Pearson Edexcel 2014 for Best Scores in Individual Subjects.
|Fees for 3 subjects||RM 26,700|
|Intake||Jan, Mar & Jul|
Brickfields Asia College (BAC) (Cambridge A-level)
Brickfields Asia College established itself the “Fastest and Smartest Way” to over 200 world-class law and business degrees. Its programmes provide students with international learning experiences, thus making sure students are well prepared to enter the challenging global environment.
Why Study at Brickfields Asia College
- BAC’s A-Level students have received prestigious Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards.
- The first college in Malaysia to complement its lectures and laboratory sessions with a “3D Science Lecture Series”.
- The Express Route enables student to graduate 2 years earlier than their peers with 2 compulsory subjects (Law and Economics) under 11 months.
|Fees||RM 20,900 (Express Route)|
RM 24,900 (Standard Route)
|Duration||11 months (Express Route)|
18 months (Standard Route)
|Intake||Jan & Apr (Express Route)|
Jan, Apr, Jun & Sep (Standard Route)
Methodist College Kuala Lumpur (MCKL) (Cambridge A-Level)
Methodist College has an excellent track record of providing quality pre-university education for secondary school leavers. Its student has achieved excellent result consistently year after year and students have gained entry to prestigious universities around the world, many on scholarship.
Why Study at Methodist College Kuala Lumpur
- The college is a not a profit-driven organisation, thus solely focusing on delivering quality education at affordable and reasonable price.
- Methodist College’s small classroom size with around 30 students per class allows lecturers to focus on each student’s development.
- MCKL student must attend 2 compulsory subjects called “Subject Learning and Character Formation”, which allow all student to develop soft skills and improve their CV for job placement in the future.
- Located in a convenient location where transportation hub, KL Sentral station is within walking distance from MCKL.
|Fees for 3 Subjects||RM 19,050|
|Intake||Jan, Apr & Jul|
There are many scholarships, grants, and bursaries which can help support you financially with your studies in Malaysia. Some are offered by the Malaysia Government, education institutions, and a number of other public and private sectors. To know more: Click here Malaysia Scholarships list 2019.
|Apply Now (Free Consultation)|
|MALAYSIAN STUDENTS||INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS|
Contact us to find out more
International Student enquiries:
For more stories like this, join the Excel Education community on Facebook
Need help with your uni application? Connect with us here
Tham Jing An is a writer by day and a bedroom singer by night. He is still a full-time student pursuing his Bachelor (Honours) in Finance with the University of Hertfordshire, UK under INTI International College Kuala Lumpur campus.