New Zealand is known to many as one of the best study destinations for international students with great universities, high quality of life and stunning scenery, as well as a strong higher education system which has been ranked 16th in the new QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings in 2018. Studying in New Zealand can be expensive, but fortunately, there are numbers of scholarships, grants, and bursaries which can help support you financially with your studies in New Zealand. They are offered by the New Zealand Government, education institutions, and a number of other public and private organisations.
Scholarship for International Students
All scholarships listed on our website are available to international students. Many are available to students of all nationalities, however, all scholarships conditions are set by the institution or organisation offering the scholarship and applications have to consult with us before submitting your scholarship application to them.
List of Scholarships
Here is the list of scholarships available for international students:
|Eligible Level/University||Types of Scholarships|
|New Zealand Pacific Scholarships||Eligible countries|
Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu
|New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships||Eligible countries|
Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Viet Nam
|New Zealand Regional Development Scholarships||Eligible countries|
Kiribati, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu
|New Zealand Development Scholarships||Eligible countries|
Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Dijbouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Bhutan, Jordan, Mongolia, Nepal, Timor-Leste, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago.
|Master’s Degree (1 – 2 years)|
PhD (up to 3.5 years)
|New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships||Eligible countries|
Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
Diploma (level 6)
|Short-Term Training Scholarships||Eligible countries|
Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Pacific Territories (Wallis and Futuna, New Caledonia and French Polynesia), Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Philippines, Viet Nam
|All Unis||Fulbright US Graduate Awards||Up to eight awards valued at up to NZ$35,000 are granted each year, towards one year of study or research in New Zealand. Available to US citizen only|
|University of Auckland||University of Auckland International Postgraduate Student Scholarships||Up to 10 scholarships of up to NZ$10,000 to study any taught master’s degree at the University of Auckland|
|Auckland University of Technology||Auckland University of Technology||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|University of Canterbury||University of Canterbury||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|Lincoln University||Lincoln University||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|Massey University||Massey University Doctoral Scholarship||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|University of Otago||University of Otago||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|University of Melbourne||PG – Melbourne Graduate Scholarship||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|Victoria University of Wellington||Victoria University of Wellington||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|University of Waikato||University of Waikato||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
|Southern Institute of Technology||Southern Institute of Technology||Merit-based scholarships for international students|
Other Financial Aids Click Here
- KOJADI Education Loan – Don’t have enough qualification to secure a scholarship? don’t worry, there is KOJADI Education loan available for Malaysian, similar to National Higher Education Fund Corporation (PTPTN), KOJADI loan applicant can enjoy low-interest rate in repaying their education debt.
- KWSP/ EPF Retirement Fund Withdrawal for Education need – Do you know that your parent or yourself could apply for early withdrawal for your education need?
- Christchurch Educated Skills Scholarship Program – New Zealand scholarships for Indian graduates to study at postgraduate level in Christchurch in disciplines related to the Christchurch rebuild program.
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand University Scholarships – Scholarships for students of economics, finance or banking at honors, master’s or PhD level and studying full time. Open to international students, provided they can legally work in New Zealand (the scholarship includes an offer of employment at the Reserve Bank after you’ve gained your qualification; if you do not accept this offer, you’ll need to repay the scholarship).
- Barbara Wood Memorial Foundation – Scholarships for students from the South Pacific to study in New Zealand or another country in the South Pacific.
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan – Scholarships for Canadian students to study a doctorate in any discipline at a university in New Zealand.
- R. H. T. Bates Postgraduate Scholarship – A scholarship for a domestic or international student enrolled on a doctorate in physical sciences and engineering at any university in New Zealand.
- AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust Scholarships – Undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for students enrolled in a New Zealand university on minerals related course.
Further information on Study Abroad:
- Auckland University of Technology (AUT) http://www.aut.ac.nz/
- University of Waikato http://www.waikato.ac.nz/
- Massey University http://www.massey.ac.nz/
- Victoria University of Wellington https://www.victoria.ac.nz/
- University of Canterbury http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/
- Lincoln University http://www.lincoln.ac.nz/
- University of Otago http://www.otago.ac.nz/
- Otago Polytechnic (OP) https://www.op.ac.nz/
- Eastern Institute of Technology (EIT) http://www.eit.ac.nz/
- Ara Institute of Canterbury (ARA) https://www.ara.ac.nz/
A freelance writer, graduated from Curtin University, specialises in commercial writing, love travel and enjoy walking on the beach, Michelle also feeds on Psychology and will give away just about anything to cuddle with furry felines.